We are looking for a Back-end / PHP developer to help us design, extend and maintain passbolt API and the evolution of associated services and components such as the database. Your primary focus will be the server-side logic, ensuring a high level of security, performance and responsiveness to the thousands of passbolt servers that are installed all over the world.
The Back-end Developer will be responsible to ensure a continuous compatibility between Passbolt server and the multitude of environments it is installed on.
The Back-end developer will learn our technical stack and intervene on our various products: Passbolt CE, Passbolt Pro and Passbolt Cloud. You and your team will be responsible for shipping the features that are requested by our community of users while maintaining an outstanding level of quality throughout the process. After you gain expertise and product knowledge, you’ll help us think about innovative approaches to complex technical problems, develop ways to make our most demanding community members happy, and cultivate a reputation of excellence throughout a vast community of developers.
- Implement new features in PHP and CakePHP, following the industry best practices and CakePHP standards. Ensure that your code is simple, readable, elegant. We believe that there is beauty in simplicity.
- Focus on software performances, and compatibility throughout a multitude of platforms and environments. Passbolt is a versatile software, it should behave as such.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Maintain existing code. Improve it. Fix bugs.
- Write functional and unit tests in order to perform predictable product build and rapid release cycles.
- Own your code and commit it with your own Github account (Passbolt is an open source project published in AGPL v3).
- Participate to the software analysis and design in order to provide detailed functional and technical specifications;
- Suggest architecture improvements. Submit improvement proposals and discuss them with the technical team.
- Coach your fellow back-end developers and help them achieve their goals while following the coding standards.
- Practice sustainable incident response and postmortems.
- Share back findings, lessons learned and best practices with the team and community by writing blog posts and participating in online and offline events.
- Interact with community members, understand their pain points and suggest improvements.
Skills required / qualifications
- Bachelor of Science or University degree relevant to Software Engineering (e.g. Computer Science, Electronics) and/or comparable work experience/certification.
- 3+ years experience in PHP development;
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Experience working with two or more from the following: API design, developing large high-availability software systems, security software development, automated functional or performance testing, evolutionary database design, authentication system development (OAuth/JWT), web extension development.
- Must have experience working with one or more of the following: CakePHP, Laravel, Symfony.
- Inspired by cybersecurity or privacy related issues. You believe in an ethical web. You understand what open source means. You live on the internet.
- Knows how to work in full autonomy. Comfortable with agile practices.
- Experience of working in an international environment with a culturally diverse user community.
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written and preferably one other language.
To apply send your resume and motivations to email@example.com, mentioning the job reference in the subject: PB-BACKEND-LUX